Category: Current affairs
- Civil war in China 1927-1950 (Communists vs. Kuomintang).
- Mao Zedong's Communists take power in Beijing in 1949.
- Chiang Kai-shek's Kuomintang nationalists form their own government in Taiwan - China considers it a renegade province.
- 2013: Sisi (army chief) overthrows post-Mubarak, newly-elected Islamist government (of President Morsi) in popularly backed coup.
- 2014: Sisi wins Presidential election - starts clamping down on any dissent.
- 2015: Sisi authoritarianism re-ignites old confrontation in Egypt between radical Islamists & army - volatile situation.
- China says it's to help the region, including with humanitarian assistance.
- Neighbouring countries + US say it's an attempt to extend sovereign territory.
- China attempting to shift balance of regional power away from US.
- US has dominated the area since WW2, but now China building artificial islands (some with airstrips) in attempts to claim & extend maritime sovereignty
- 5 other nations (plus the US) contest many of China's claims.
- US conducting sporadic naval pass-throughs to challenge China's assumptions.
- Formerly Erdoğan was a uniting figure for Turkey, but now he rules by divisiveness.
- The identity of his ruling party now = Sunni, Islamist, Turkish.
- Shia, secularists & Kurds made to feel left out.
- In power: Military-backed ruling party.
- Opposition: Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy (NLD)
- Impossible to predict outcome as limited polling data.
- Solid win for Erdogan's ruling moderate Islamist party (the AKP).
- It was a vote for stability.
- But result may sharpen social divisions.