- Started Sept. 2014 when activists protested outside the HK Govt. HQ & occupied intersections in response to China's decisions on proposed HK electoral reform.
- Protesters want HK to be allowed to choose leaders in 2017 elections without interference from China.
- Chinese govt. has said it will allow universal suffrage, but will screen candidates for the chief executive post in advance. Protests continue.
- French politician and longtime leader of the Socialist party who became President of France in May 2012.
- Domestic policy highlights: Supporter of same sex marriage, labor reform, pension reform and creation of a European Credit rating agency.
- Foreign policy highlights: Early withdrawal of combat troops from Afghanistan and continued close ties with Germany.
- Egyptian politician and President from 1981 - 2011.
- In Nov 2014, charges against Mubarak over the killing of 239 protesters (during the 2011 uprising against him) were dropped.
- Currently serving 3-year sentence for embezzlement of public funds.
- Romanian politician who became President in December 2014.
- Became leader of National Liberal Party in 2014, having been as leader of Democratic Forum of Germans in Romania from 2002 to 2013.
- Physics teacher and school inspector before entering politics.
- The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant is a Sunni, extremist and violent political and military group controlling territory in Syria, Iraq, eastern Libya, and Sinai in Egypt.
- Designated as a terrorist organization by UN, EU among others, and accused of human rights abuses and ethnic cleansing.
- Principal aim is to establish an Islamic state in Sunni-majority regions of Iraq & Syria. Broad aim is to build a caliphate to emulate the days of Islam's Prophet Mohammed.
- Luxembourg politician (12th and current President of the European Commission).
- Prime Minister of Luxembourg 1995 - 2013.
- Minister for Finance - Luxembourg 1989 - 2009.
- US politician (Defence Secretary Feb 2013 - Nov 2014).
- Vietnam War veteran (2 purple hearts), US Senator (Republican) from Nebraska from 1997 to 2009.
- Removed from Defence Secretary position in Obama cabinet reshuffle.