- Secularists vs. Islamists.
- Turks vs. Kurds.
- Westernised urban elite vs. religious/conservative rural masses.
- Introduced 1979 off fears of runaway population growth.
- Believed to have prevented 400m births but now problem of ageing population and shortages of workers.
- Now 2 children allowed per couple - official approval will be required for the 2nd.
- 2.3m Syrian refugees in Turkey.
- EU scared of them slipping into Europe.
- Therefore tolerating Turkey's slide to one-man rule.
- So far yes.
- Partly attributed to recent large influx of missiles from Sunni Gulf states.
- Gulf States + Saudi Arabia are backing the rebels, with US approval.
- Tiny force (50 soldiers - special forces) going in to help anti-Assad rebels.
- Response to Russian involvement.
- Not substantive, but believed to send message to Russia that it does not have free-reign.
- Middle Eastern ethnic group with own language and culture.
- Don't have their own country - inhabit contiguous area (Kurdistan) spanning N-Turkey, N-Iraq, W-Iran and N-Syria.
- Worldwide population 30-35m, primarily Sunni.
- Pro Kurdish political party.
- Alliance of leftists, Kurds, women's rights and gay rights activists.
- Won 13% of parliamentary vote in June and expected to do just as well in November rerun.