- Turkey President, elected PM 2003 - served 3 terms before becoming PM.
- Presidency characterised by a neo-Islamist, intrusive, growing authoritarian rule.
- Like Putin in Russia & Sisi in Egypt, attempting to consolidate power by creating an executive presidency.
- Politician: Leader of Liberal Party & Canadian PM (since Oct 2015).
- Political positioning in election: Progressive, optimistic, idealistic, multicultural.
- Economic positioning in election: End austerity, start fiscal expansion.
- US politician (Democrat).
- Attorney-general of California.
- After California's Barbara Boxer (Democrat) announced that she would retire from the U.S. Senate in 2017, Harris was the first candidate to declare she would vie for the seat.
- 30 year old member of Saudi Arabia royal family (currently the youngest defence minister in the world, chief of economic policy co-ordination + head of royal court).
- Embodies new Saudi adventurist-muscular foreign policy.
- Known as a hard worker, he is apparently a favourite of his father (Salman, who became king in January 2015).
- French politician (Socialist Party), former banker, current economy minister.
- At vanguard of battle against old-guard within own party to reform ailing economy.
- Believes France will have to compromise on its generous socialist model to get growth back on track.
- President of South Africa, elected 2009 and re-elected 2014, president of ANC.
- Acquitted on rape charges in 2005, but has faced continued allegations of racketeering, corruption and cronyism.
- Currently facing scandal involving US$22m of taxpayer's money used to pay for his private home and is increasingly criticised for his growing autocratic tendencies.
- US Pentagon/Defence official, Obama's secretary of defence since 04 Feb 2015.
- Previously Pentagon's chief arms buyer & assistant secretary of defence under former President Bill Clinton.
- He is a Democrat and was a Rhodes scholar, receiving a PhD. in theoretical physics from Oxford University.
- Brazil's current PM, serving since 2010 (now in second term).
- Former head of Petrobras (state-owned oil company).
- Iranian politician, current President, Shia.
- Domestically: Moderate & reformist.
- Internationally: Pragmatic, wants improved relationship with the west - unlike his predecessor he does not deny the Holocaust, but he does not acknowledge it in any form.
- French right-wing politician & leader of the populist FN (National Front - 3rd largest French party).
- More pragmatic, democratic & republican than her father (Jean Marie Le Pen - also leader of the FN) - she aims to reduce immigration, dad wanted to abolish it.
- Portraying herself as the voice of ordinary voters, might do well in March departmental elections, + might win the northern region in Dec. regional elections.