- Indian politician, 19th and current Prime Minister (since May 2014).
- Hindu Nationalist and leader of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), previously served as the Chief Minister of Gujarat state (2001- 2014), praised for growth-oriented economic policies but criticised for failing to quell sectarianism.
- Most dominant Indian PM in living memory (power centralised, opposition crushed, deferential cabinet, hugely popular on the street).
- Russian politician who has been President or PM of Russia since 1999 (President [May 2012-present] + [2000-2008], PM [1999-2000] + [2008-2012]).
- Prior to entering politics, he spent 16 years in the KGB (the Soviet security agency).
- Popular cultural icon in Russia + has cultivated an image of a strongman, yet his actions are regarded by domestic opposition and international community as undemocratic.
- German politician, former research scientist, leader of Christian Democratic Union (CDU) since 2000 + Chancellor of Germany since 2005.
- Champions austerity i.e. budget discipline as only way of restoring European financial stability.
- Described as the de facto leader of the European Union and named by Forbes Magazine in 2014 as the most powerful woman in the world.
- Polish politician, former Poland Prime Minister, current head of European Council.
- One of the few EU leaders who won re-election after 2008 financial crisis and guided Poland through 3 years of economic growth while rest of Europe faltered.
- Healthy working relationship with Angela Merkel (German Chancellor).
- US politician (Democrat), 44th US President (since 2009) and first African American to hold the office.
- Cautious approach to foreign affairs and prolific use of "Presidential memoranda" used to bypass a hostile Congress.
- Presidency characterised by domestic partisan gridlock and recent foreign policy successes.
- Populist Dutch politician, founder and leader of the Party for Freedom (PVV) which is the 4th-largest political party in Holland.
- Known for euroscepticism & criticism of Islam, he is at the forefront of the surge anti immigration sentiment in W-Europe.
- In Dec. 2014 charged with discrimination & incitement of hatred after anti-Moroccan statements at a political rally.
- US politician (Republican), 43rd Governor of Florida from 1999 to 2007.
- 2nd son of former President George H. W. Bush and younger brother of former President George W. Bush.
- Announced his intention to "actively explore" the possibility of running for US President on 16 Dec. 2014.
- Current Prime Minister of Japan (re-elected Dec. 2012 after 1 year term 2006/7) + President of the Liberal Democratic Party (LDP).
- Economic policy dubbed Abenomics (monetary & fiscal expansion and inflation target of 2%).
- Viewed as a right-wing nationalist.
- US TV producer (the Bold & the Beautiful) & philanthropist, & raised US$2.1m for Obama's '12 Presidential campaign.
- Appointed US ambassador to Hungary in December 2014.
- Made it clear in her Senate hearing that she knows little about the country.
- US contractor jailed in Cuba for 15 years for alleged spying.
- Arrested in 2009 for installing internet networks for the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), an act which Havana considered subversive.
- Barack Obama's efforts at better relations with Cuba might ensure his early release.